If you are familiar with the Argentinian culture, when someone says Pionono, you will automatically think about the Holidays.
In fact, it is a classic appetizer from our high-summer Christmas tables, that you can adapt, transform, reinvent, and enjoy all year long. It is perfect for a casual “tapeo”, to bring to a friend’s pot luck party, or simply treat your loved ones with some spongy and delicious munchies.
At home, I to serve it in bite-size slices, along with small sandwiches, cold-cut meats and cheeses, in our traditional family picadita. My grandkids love it! So does their grandpa…
Versatile and easy to prepare, Pionono dough is also used to make “arrollado de dulce de leche”, which is a classic dessert in Argentina. It is the same concept as the crepes in France. You can use the same dough either for dessert, appetizer or even cannelloni. If you are not a fan of sweet & salty dishes, you can add salt instead of sugar when preparing the dough.
For the dough:
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of vanilla
For the filling:
- 1 tuna can
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 hard broiled egg
- 1/2 cup of pitted green olives
For the dough:
- Preheat oven at 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir eggs with sugar until they are blended well.
- Add vanilla and oil, then add the flour to obtain a smooth mix.
- Pour the mix over a baking sheet, previously covered with preachment paper.
- Bake for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Remove it from the baking sheet and let it cool over a wet kitchen towel.
Filling and assemble:
Mix all the ingredient in a food processor. Cover the Pionono dough and roll, carefully detaching the preachment paper as your roll.
You can cover the roll with mayonnaise, and decorate with crudites, olives and herbs; or you can simple slice it and serve it in a platter as small bites.
And when it’s come to filling, you can be creative, and experiment with different combinations. Here’s my favorites:
- Blue cheese, whipping cream, walnuts and whisky
- Chicken, pickled veggies or olives, mayo and mustard
- And this is from my daughter Vero: Ham, cheese, olives and mayo
And remember you can also fill it with dulce de leche, and get a fabulous dessert to show off to your friends. Enjoy it!